For a long time I’ve been trying to perfect the recipe for my Tudor Red threads. Red is a notoriously difficult colour to create, and many dyers would keep their recipes secret from keeping their competitors stealing them. After a lot of experimentation on my side, I’m very happy with the recipe that I’ve created now.
The most positive thing to come out of this recipe change is that the new dye is 100% plant based, and I no longer have to use cochineal in any of my products. After the last experiment I held two skeins of Tudor Red (one from the old batch, one from the new recipe) and I couldn’t tell the difference!
What does this mean for you?
Quite simply, not that much! You will still get the same beautiful, rich and deep red delivered through the new dye recipe. If you’ve not used the old colour before, there’s nothing to worry about. If you plan on using the new threads with an older version of my threads, I would like to warn that on the long term, the different shades might age slightly differently. I’ve noticed cochineal dyes fading more towards a pink shade, with the purpurin in the dye remaining quite strong. Madder and other red dye plants tend to age towards a slightly warmer shade. Both are beautiful with age, and I think it would look really interesting in the long run!
To try out the new threads, I decided to do some freestyle cross-stitch, resulting in this little Quaker inspired pincushion. You can purchase the kit here for only £9.95.